[Haskell-cafe] Why?

John D. Earle JohnDEarle at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 07:29:15 EST 2009

Magnus, thank you. It at least gives me a lead. I can focus on the
significance of laziness and what role it may have on purity. That the
language is lazy gives me no anxiety as I see laziness as natural. I see
Haskell as having proven that laziness is viable; a language can be lazy and
fast and memory efficient. I am trying to put the puzzle pieces together and
from what I can gather purity may be a perceived outcome of combinatory
logic with Occam's razor. So perhaps the motivation is scientific. Unless
you absolutely must don't go there. Science is an evolutionary process. You
go from Newtonian mechanics to Relativity. Relativity is more complicated
than Newtonian mechanics, but it was proven that the additional complexity
was needed.