[Haskell-cafe] Natural Language Processing

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Dec 9 21:19:43 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:11:04PM -0700, John D. Earle wrote:
> Is Parsec capable of parsing a mildly context sensitive language? In
> particular does it parse a combinatory categorial grammar? Does
> Haskell have such tools in its shed? What sort of facilities does
> Haskell have for natural language processing?

The happy parser generator now has a GLR mode, which allows parsing of
ambiguous grammers such as occur in natural languages. It uses clever
representation to avoid space issues with storing the large number of
possible parse trees. I believe NLP was one of the main motivations of
the feature but am not sure. I too am interested in lightweight NLP in
haskell but have not had time to put into it. I'd be curious what you
come up with.

http://www.haskell.org/happy/doc/html/sec-glr.html

        John