[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: hakyll-0.1

Robert Greayer robgreayer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 21:19:37 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies, Robert, for you getting this twice: I forgot to CC the list
> as well.
>
> Robert Greayer <robgreayer at gmail.com> writes:
> > The crux here is that the source code of hakyll, released on hackage, is
> not
> > a derivative of Pandoc (it contains, as far as I understand it, no Pandoc
> > source code).  A compiled executable *is* a derivative of Pandoc, so
> anyone
> > who *distributes* a compiled executable would need to make *all* the
> source
> > available under the GPL (including the hakyll source).  Since the hakyll
> > package is released under BSD3, this would be allowed (AIUI, IANAL).
>

> That is my understanding as well:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
>
> ,----
> | If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
> | that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL or a
> | GPL-compatible license?
> |
> |     Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.
> `----
>
> Thus, it means your program using Pandoc can be BSD3; but it can never
> be used in a proprietary program.

There's another FAQ on GNU site that, I think, addresses the Pandoc/Hakyll
situation directly:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

"You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build a
proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program mean I have
to GPL my program?

    Not exactly. It means you must release your program under a license
compatible with the GPL (more precisely, compatible with one or more GPL
versions accepted by all the rest of the code in the combination that you
link). The combination itself is then available under those GPL versions. "