[Haskell-cafe] Haskell job opportunity

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Tue Dec 8 12:54:55 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM, siki <gabor at karamaan.com> wrote:
> I've posted this before but did not get a whole lot of responses, so here it
> is again:
[...]
> You should have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science from a top
> university

Might I humbly suggest that this is going to severely limit your
hiring options?  You're looking for the intersection of sets of people
who:

- Have a BS in computer science (cuts out a fair number of people)
- Graduated from a "top university" (cuts out a *lot* of people)
- Is familiar with Java (cuts out some people)
- Is skilled with Haskell (a fair bet for many on this mailing list, at least)
- Can work in the Manhattan area (cuts out a *lot* of people)

I'm not sure how many people *exist* who meet all these criteria.  ;-)
 I'd probably start by dropping your "top university" requirement,
since I don't think it's all that relevant if you find your candidate
has the skills you're looking for.  You might even find someone who
fits yet doesn't have a CompSci BS degree; you can phrase it as "a BS
in computer science or an equivalent strong background in theoretical
computer science" or somesuch, as appropriate.