[Haskell-cafe] Re: Allowing hyphens in identifiers

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 05:19:14 EST 2009

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:

> Has there been any serious suggestion or attempt to change the syntax
> of Haskell to allow hyphens in identifiers, much like in Lisp
> languages? E.g. hello-world would be a valid function name.

I (among others) suggested it right at the beginning when we
were first defining the lexical syntax, and have raised the
possibility again a couple of times now that unicode hyphens are
available, but it wasn't liked at the beginning and hasn't
excited much interest since.  Why do you want them?

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html  (updated 2009-01-31)