[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: new installment of failure framework

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Tue Dec 8 04:51:42 EST 2009

Michael,

Although I like the idea of improving the way that failures are handled in Haskell, I am having trouble seeing any reason to use your framework.

If a function is always assumed to succeed given certain pre-conditions, and somewhere along the lines my code discovers that one of these had been violated, then I throw an exception in order to communicate to myself the manner in which I screwed up.

If a function might either succeed or fail for a very specific reason, then I use a Maybe because the caller will know exactly what problem is being signaled by Nothing.

If a function might fail for one of many reasons and the caller might care about learning more about the problem, then I use an Either so that I can report the details of the problem.

In each of the latter two cases, I can already use monads to handle the errors in a relatively convenient manner.  In the first case I usually want the program to die right away and let me know where I screwed up, but if for some reason I wanted to continue even given arbitrary unanticipated problems in a particular computation the I use an exception handler.

Given that all of the scenarios that I encounter are already handled by the functionality the standard libraries, it is not clear to me what your framework actually offers.

I am not writing this to shoot your framework down, but rather to voice my thoughts aloud in order to hear your response to them, since if there is a use scenario that I am missing in which your framework would be ideal then I would be interested in hearing about it.

Cheers,
Greg