[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hakyll-0.1

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Tue Dec 8 03:47:21 EST 2009

Gregory Crosswhite wrote:
>> Tom Tobin wrote:
>>
>> The 3 clause BSD license is officially a GPL compatible license.
>> See:
>>

>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
>>
>> It is within the terms of the GPL to link GPL code to a bunch of BSD3
>> code as long as you abide by both the GPL and the BSD3 license.
>
> That really just means that BSD3 code can be used in GPL code;  you
> still have to release your own code as GPL if you are including any
> GPL code.

The main licence of darcs is GPL, but I've licensed all my contributions
to it as BSD3. My view of this is that while darcs as a whole is
obviously still GPL, any of my contributions that can be extracted
independently can be used in other projects under BSD3.

I'd say that with hakyll, the library itself can be under BSD3 but any
executable you produce from it at the moment will necessarily be GPL.
Not sure if there's any good way to communicate this fact in the
metadata, though.

Ganesh