[Haskell-cafe] Re: New Hackage category: Error Handling

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Dec 7 14:53:16 EST 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> I actually *did* read your article, and don't know what you are referring to.

If this is true, sorry, I didn't had the impression.

I also think that in an earlier mail I answered, that errors can leave you
with corrupt data, say invalid file handles, memory pointers, or data
structures that violate invariants. You won't like to close files from
invalid file handles and free memory from corrupt pointers or run into
infinite loops by traversing the corrupt data structures. That's the
reason why it is better to stop execution of the program and hand over
control to the next higher level, say the shell or the web browser, that
can free resources safely.