[Haskell-cafe] Hayoo and Hoogle (beginner question)

drostin77 ml.nwgreen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 20:48:37 EST 2009

Hello Hopefully Helpful Haskell Community!

(I really wanted that to be alliteration... couldn't come up with an h word
for community)

  I've just started learning Haskell (working my way through "Real World
Haskell" and really liking it)!  I have started to appreciate that there are
a lot of Haskell libraries I will want to search and access quite regularly
when I work on Haskell projects, so I had the following questions:

1.  Hoogle and Hayoo:  I'm a bit confused by the difference here.  From
initial impressions it seems that Hayoo is linked to Hackage, but Hoogle is
not?  And it seems that Hayoo is, well, "Similar to Hoogle, but with less
focus on type search."  Should I check both of these when I want a library,
or choose one and go with it...?  Or is it indeed better to search Hayoo
when I'm thinking of a named library and Hoogle when I think I know the type
signature for just the function I need?

2.  I much prefer a command line search interface to a browser, I see Hoogle
offers such a tool, does Hayoo?

P.S.  If these questions are in the wrong place, or if they are already
answered in detail somewhere that my Googling didn't find please feel free
to paste a link and tell me to search better next time!