[Haskell-cafe] HP + Gtk2hs?

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Dec 5 16:20:00 EST 2009

Am Samstag 05 Dezember 2009 21:31:39 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
> Daniel Fischer wrote:
> >>
> >> That *does* in fact seem to be a recurring problem, yes.
> >>
> >> Now, how to fix this...?
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > get the sources, try proposed fix, if it works, send Duncan(*) the patch?
> > Even better, become a gtk2hs developer yourself (though that's more work
> > and probably requires some serious knowledge of gtk).
>
> In order to do this, I'd have to know how to build Gtk2hs from source on
> Windows. I imagine this is quite nontrivial.

I thought in this case, it was a proposed change in the installer, so you'd only have to
change that and could leave the gtk2hs binary untouched. Of course that can only work if
Windows installers are some sort of script or otherwise customisable. Are they?

> >> Interestingly, while you can't compile bindings to external C libraries,
> >> GHC does appear to ship with all the header files for Windows, which is
> >> odd. It seems if you try to FFI to a standard Win32 function, it
> >> magically knows where the hell the header files are, and it Just
> >> Works(tm). Hell, I even followed a C++ guide to Win32 programming and
> >> managed to translate an "open a blank window" program to Haskell, and it
> >> worked. Maybe somebody just needs to sit down and write a nice binding
> >> for doing native GUI stuff under Win32?
> >
> > Maybe you could try to be that somebody? I'm sure the Windows folks would
> > appreciate it very much
>
> The thought has certainly crossed my mind. If I could write such a
> package, I imagine a lot of people would find it seriously useful.
> Native Windows GUI programs, without any 3rd party DLLs to distribute
> with your compiled binary... It'd be great, wouldn't it?
>
> Of course, thinking about how great it would be doesn't get the code
> written. ;-) I'd have to learn how to call Win32 from C first, for a
> start... o_O

Yes, of course, ultra posse nemo obligatur.
As long as you can't do something, you can only hope somebody else can and does.