[Haskell-cafe] Low Level Audio - Writing bytes to the sound card?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 5 15:33:15 EST 2009

Stephen Tetley wrote:
> Hello Andrew
>
> Plenty compile on Windows:
>
> Some OpenVG, OpenGL[1] (still? - I'm a bit behind the times) only
> compile with MinGW.
>
> Others are fine with Cygwin provided you have the dev packages
> installed (readline, pcre-light...).

You're talking about MinGW and Cygwin. So... Unix emulators, basically.

I don't think it should be necessary to install a Unix emulator just so
that I can write Windows programs. Maybe others disagree.

> If you can get the raw C library to work in either Cygwin or MinGW,
> you should have a good chance.

I'm by no means an expert here, but isn't it usual for C libraries on
Windows to be supplied as a compiled DLL and a header file for using it?
I don't quite understand why you need a C compiler.

> [1] OpenGL worked fine when it was bundled with GHC, when it got
> unbundled things seemed to go amiss.

Apparently there is some talk of removing OpenGL from the Haskell
Platform. And if this happens, it'll be one more thing I can't use on
Windows. :-(

Personally, I'd like to see *more* C bindings in HP, so that I can start
doing cool stuff on Windows.