[Haskell-cafe] Re: Low Level Audio - Writing bytes to the sound card?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 18:28:03 EST 2009

> From: M Xyz <functionallyharmonious at yahoo.com>
>
>> if you get it to work
>
> As a spoiled Java programmer, this new role as pioneer is a bit intimidating, but I will give it a shot. :)
>
> I downloaded the portaudio v19 source and I'm attempting to build it. Apparently I have to register my Visual Studio Express with Microsoft. Deeper down the rabbit hole... (Interesting aside, on the registration form under "What programming language topics are you interested in?" neither F# or Haskell are listed)

For doing cross-platform development, I would strongly recommend that
you use MinGW (or cygwin) in preference to Visual Studio Express.
This is because most Unix/Linux packages, and thus most cross-platform
packages, are designed to be built with the GNU compiler toolchain
(i.e. configure, make, make install), and getting them to work with
Visual Studio can be a chore.

I also would use PortAudio for what you describe, and have had good
experience with it on OSX.  Sox is a good choice as well if you don't
mind piping output to another program.

*shameless plug* you could also use hCsound, although it's probably
higher-level than what you're looking for.  Installing on Windows is
tricky too, but you only need to do so once.

John