[Haskell-cafe] Low Level Audio - Writing bytes to the sound card?

M Xyz functionallyharmonious at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 13:51:03 EST 2009

What is the most minimal (preferably platform independent) library available for writing bytes to the sound card? I see 60 wonderful libraries on Hackage, but I really just need the Haskell equivalent of an audio.write(byte[]) method. What sound api are these 60 libraries using?

I think the portaudio library is the only contender but when I try to install it I get:

>cabal install portaudio
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading portaudio-0.0.1...
Configuring portaudio-0.0.1...
cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing C library: portaudio
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
--extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.
portaudio-0.0.1 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1