[Haskell-cafe] Haskell for Physicists

Roman Salmin roman.salmin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 07:14:07 EST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> http://www.galois.com/blog/2009/10/13/domain-specific-languages-for-domain-specific-problems/
>
> It advocates for Haskell + EDSLs, much as we have been discussing in
> this thread.

 I am think that use of EDSLs for Physics (and similar science) are very
arguable:
 To use EDSL domain expert need to know language in which DSL embedded,
which is more difficult than learn just DSL.
 Not better, if EDSL use only subset of base language:
 1. because you  need to teach this subset (probably rewrite of write new
tutorials, books etc..)
 2. and if someone use few EDSL with different subsets of base language it
can  (and probably will) became mess.
_So easiness in implementation results in burden for users_

 I see such situation in Particle Physics where I am working.
All basic software: ROOT, Geant4 are actually EDSLs based on C++
(and crippled C++: CINT). In my opinion this slowdown progress
tremendously! I am know many physicists who don't know ever necessary basic
of C++, although they use ROOT and Geant4.
 I am sure that what prevent them from learning C++ will prevent them from
learning
any other general purpose language.
 _So my strong opinion that solution is only DSL not EDSL_

 Roman.