[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Fanatic?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 4 04:34:51 EST 2009

Friends

One of the absolutely best things about the Haskell community is that it is almost invariably respectful and usually friendly.  People often remark on this when they join the community.  Beginner questions are greeted with polite and helpful replies.  Category theory and elementary type errors show up in successive messages.  Etc.

But thread is an exception.

If you think someone is talking nonsense, I think the best policy is to ignore it or reply privately (not to the list); then the thread dies.  I find derogatory discussion of a particular person quite discouraging.  It is likely to be unjust, and it encourages more of the same.  It's like littering your own house.

Respect, guys, please.

Simon