[Haskell-cafe] Greetings! 2D Graphics?

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:07:56 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:13 AM, M Xyz <functionallyharmonious at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Greetings, my name is M. This is my first time posting to a mailing list so
> forgive me if I've done something wrong. I just finished "Real World
> Haskell" and am currently working through "School of Expression". I am new
> to Haskell but I already love it. My question is this...
>
> I am interested in doing graphics work in Haskell, but I am lost trying to
> pick a library. I've been designing engineering apps in Java for 6 years and
> I'll admit I've been coddled by its standard library, lol. I am looking for
> something very lightweight with the basic capabilities of Java's Graphics2D
> class (antialias, composite, clipping, transformation, simple drawing
> primitives, gradients). I want something simple and "lightweight" because my
> interest is to play with building higher level abstractions myself.
>
> I use XP and Ubuntu so I'd prefer not to use the Graphics-Win32 library
> used by "School of Expression" if there is a platform independent library.
> I've read through
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications_and_libraries/Graphics and
> the pertinent libraries seem to be Haven, HGL or Cairo via Gtk2Hs right?
> Which is the most popular/active and appropriate for a beginner to start
> working with?

I admit author's bias, but I suggest graphics-drawingcombinators.  It is a
2D drawing library based on OpenGL with a pure interface (no IO, except to
finally render your drawing), and supports all the stuff you want except
clipping.

It uses the SDL bindings, which I have heard are not easy to install on
windows, but go smooth as a baby's bottom on ubuntu.

Luke