[Haskell-cafe] Greetings! 2D Graphics?

M Xyz functionallyharmonious at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 02:13:58 EST 2009

Greetings, my name is M. This is my first time posting to a mailing list so forgive me if I've done something wrong. I just finished "Real World Haskell" and am currently working through "School of Expression". I am new to Haskell but I already love it. My question is this...

I am interested in doing graphics work in Haskell, but I am lost trying to pick a library. I've been designing engineering apps in Java for 6 years and I'll admit I've been coddled by its standard library, lol. I am looking for something very lightweight with the basic capabilities of Java's Graphics2D class (antialias, composite, clipping, transformation, simple drawing primitives, gradients). I want something simple and "lightweight" because my interest is to play with building higher level abstractions myself.

I use XP and Ubuntu so I'd prefer not to use the Graphics-Win32 library used by "School of Expression" if there is a platform independent library. I've read through http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications_and_libraries/Graphics and the pertinent libraries seem to be Haven, HGL or Cairo via Gtk2Hs right? Which is the most popular/active and appropriate for a beginner to start working with?

Thank you!