[Haskell-cafe] Monomorphic local let bindings and GHCi

Miran Lipovača miran.lipovaca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:30:00 EST 2009

Hi!

There have been proposals to abandon generalisation for local let bindings because
  they make specifying and implementing the type system very complicated when
extensions like multi parameter type classes, type functions and GADTs are taken
into consideration.

I agree with what the paper says in general, I'm just interested/concerned as to
how abandoning local let generealisation would affect GHCi. While we rarely rely
on the polymorphism of functions defined in local let bindings, I think a lot of
programmers rely on the polymorphism of functions that they define with let in
GHCi. I have a feeling that GHCi would be a lot less useful if it didn't allow us
to define functions that are polymorphic in it.

Also, what would the behavior be anyway? If we did

 > let f x = x

in GHCi and then inspected the type of f, what would GHCi report? Would it use
defaulting and give us () -> ()? Or would it display a polymorphic type a -> a and
then change that type to something monomorphic once we use f with some value? What
if we defined several functions like this that called each other?

So I think that if local let generalisation is abandoned, let bindings in GHCi
would somehow have to be modified to remain polymorphic.

Any thoughts?