[Haskell-cafe] GHC magic optimization ?

Emmanuel CHANTREAU echant+haskell at maretmanu.org
Thu Dec 3 20:48:14 EST 2009

Hello

First, thank you for all answers.

Le Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:58:33 +0300,
Miguel Mitrofanov <miguelimo38 at yandex.ru> a écrit :

> Does this really mean that you want to know how the garbage collector
> works?

Well, I try to understand your question...

I will take an example:

f x y= x+y

The program ask the user to enter two numbers and print the sum. If the
user enter "1 2" "f 1 2=3" is stored and a gargage collector is used to
remove this dandling expression later ?
If the user enter again "1 2", ghc search in dandling results to
try to find the result without computing it again ?

For Eugene:
I use "magic" to mean beautiful and difficult to understand. I believe
in magic: I believe everything can be understood with time.

--
Emmanuel Chantréau