[Haskell-cafe] Optimization with Strings ?

Emmanuel CHANTREAU echant+haskell at maretmanu.org
Thu Dec 3 07:03:02 EST 2009

Hello

In my futur program, it use a lot of binary trees with strings (words)
as leaf. There is just arround 1000 words and they will appear a lot of
times. The program will possibly consume a lot of process and memory
(it is a mathematics proover).

I began this program in C++ but haskell has a prety good speed and
memory footprint and is easier. But I don't know if it worth to do this
optimization: having a dictionary to translate string words in Int.

The answer depends on the automatic optimizations in GHC, because GHC
could compare quickely two strings if it is the same object, so it
depends if program generated by GHC have a dictionary (tree) of strings
internaly. Someone knows this ?

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)

thank you

--