[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANN: NoSlow - Microbenchmarks for array libraries

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Dec 1 17:52:49 EST 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Roman Leshchinskiy wrote:
>
>> You can get more information (including the ugly tables) from my blog
>>
>>  http://unlines.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/noslow
>
> Btw. storablevector supports 'zip' using
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/storable-tuple
>  but you may also use 'zipWith' with an atomar result type for testing.

However, I have noticed that the instances in storable-tuple are not quite
efficient. They are implemented with storable-record, which is elegant,
but apparently too hard to compile efficiently for GHC. Storable-record
computes the offsets for members of a record automatically according to
their aligment constraints. But GHC seems not to realize, that the offsets
are constants.