[Haskell-cafe] Get data from HTML pages

José Romildo Malaquias j.romildo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 07:50:48 EDT 2009

Hello.

I am porting to Haskell a Java application I have written to manage
collections of movies.

Currently the application has an option to indirectly import movie data
from web pages. For that first the user should access the page in a web
browser. Then the user should copy the rendered text in the web browser
into an import window in my application and click an "import" button. In
response the application parses the given text and collects any relevant
data it knows about, using regular expressions.

For instance, to get the director information from a movie in the
AllCenter web site I use the following regular expression:

   ^Direção:\s+(.+)$

I want to modify this scheme in order to eliminate the need to copy the
rendered text from a web browser. Instead my application should download
and parse the HTML page directly.

Which libraries are available in Haskell that would make it easy to get
content information from a HTML document, in the way described above?

Regards,

Romildo