[Haskell-cafe] Cleaning up stable names?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:54:39 EDT 2009

>From the documentation, I don't think I grasp how stable names work.
>From the docs:
"There is no deRefStableName operation. You can't get back from a stable
name to the original Haskell object. The reason for this is that the
existence of a stable name for an object does not guarantee the existence of
the object itself; it can still be garbage collected."

>From this I can conclude that stable names behave a bit like weak pointers.

However, suppose I have a hash table of these stable names. How can I remove
the redundant stable names from the table? I mean removing stable names that
refer to an object that is garbage collected? I don't see any function for
checking that (e.g. isStableNameTargetAlive or something)

Thanks,
Peter