[Haskell-cafe] GUI library

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 29 20:25:12 EDT 2009

Jason Dagit wrote:
> I've never used it myself, but if you're going to be drawing a lot
> perhaps cairo is right for you?
> http://cairographics.org/hscairo/
>
> I suspect you'll have to be "self-taught" here.  Gtk2Hs and WxHaskell
> are probably the most mature gui libs for Haskell.  Yet with either
> one you may end up dropping down into GDI/GDI+ or opengl on windows to
> get what you want.  GDI/GDI+ is confusing in any language, but good
> books/resources do exist.  So perhaps the trick here is to translate
> good documentation from other languages/sources into Haskell examples.
>  You could do this as a warm up exercise before starting on your music
> editor.
>
> Jason

Thanks, Jason. My drawing needs are pretty rudimentary. A music editor
doesn't need much more than the ability to draw lines and characters. A
nice addition would be antialiased curves such as Qt offers but that is
optional. A so-called "canvas" sometimes offers optimized drawing updates,
so the editor doesn't have to redraw the entire page if one portion of it
changes. That is not strictly necessary, and in fact it wouldn't be hard to
implement a bit of that functionality myself.

-Mike