[Haskell-cafe] ANN: jail-0.0.1 - Jailed IO monad

Sebastiaan Visser sfvisser at cs.uu.nl
Thu Aug 27 10:39:09 EDT 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Eugene Kirpichov wrote:

> Cool!
>
> However, it does not protect me from doing
> System.IO.Unsafe.unsafePerformIO in whatever fashion I like, does it?

Unfortunately not, hence my disclaimer:

"I would almost dare to say this module is conceptually safe and code
with the jailed IO type can blindly be trusted. Except, yes
unfortunately except, unsafePerformIO ruins it all. I would almost
suggest adding a flag to the compiler to enforce the absence
ofunsafeRuinMyTypeSafety-alike functions in order to be able to create
systems in which code can be trusted by its type alone."

Hope there will once be a nice solution to this...

--
Sebastiaan Visser