[Haskell-cafe] oauth in haskell - reviewers?

Robert Greayer robgreayer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 12:43:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Don Stewart<dons at galois.com> wrote:
> I notice hoauth is packaged as LGPL. Since we use static linking in GHC,
> this makes it in practice GPL. Is that the intent?
>
> -- Don

I don't think this is 100% true -- the requirement is to allow the end
user the ability to replace the version of the library they're using
with something else, which can be accomplished by dynamically linked
libraries, but also means that if the rest of the program is open
source (but not GPL), the requirement is satisfied.  LGPL is generally
compatible with GPL-incompatible open-source, whether statically
linked or not.  It is true it is incompatible with closed source
licensing.

There are some real situations where this might matter -- you could
use this library in an an executable in which the remainder of the
source was MPL, I think, as long as there were the possibility of
relinking with a different version of the LGPL library.  You couldn't
do this if it were GPL.  This is the section of the LGPL that mentions
this:

"Do one of the following:

    * 0) Convey the Minimal Corresponding Source under the terms of
this License, and the Corresponding Application Code in a form
suitable for, and under terms that permit, the user to recombine or
relink the Application with a modified version of the Linked Version
to produce a modified Combined Work, in the manner specified by
section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source.
    *1) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the
Library. A suitable mechanism is one that (a) uses at run time a copy
of the Library already present on the user's computer system, and (b)
will operate properly with a modified version of the Library that is
interface-compatible with the Linked Version."

So, Haskell libraries licensed under LGPL (without the static linking
exception) force option 0, but that doesn't make them completely
equivalent to GPL. At least that's my understanding (which could be
flawed!).

-Rob