[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.7.1

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 09:15:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 21:13 -0700, John Meacham wrote:
> Hi, I am happy to announce the jhc optimizing haskell compiler version 0.7.1.

Congratulations on getting a public release out.

A few comments:

1. Would it be possible to have a machine-readable form of:
  jhc --list-libraries

It's possible to parse the output of course but the worry is always that
the format will change again.

2. In older jhc versions it was possible to specify .hl libraries by
name and version, eg jhc -p filepath-1.0.1.1. In the latest release it
is only possible by name. Is this intentional? I know jhc uses hashes to
uniquely identify installed packages, perhaps it should be possible to
specify packages by hash for the case that one has several instances of
the same package (possibly different versions, or built against
different versions of various dependencies).

3. Related to 1 and 2, what does the jhc --list-libraries output look
like when there are several packages of the same version but with a
different hash? Maybe a machine readable --list-libraries should list
the hash too.

4. Is there a way to get back the library/package description that jhc
bakes into the .hl files? There's a --show-ho. Perhaps we want a
--show-hl that dumps the library description? I guess that should also
tell us the package hash.

5. The ./configure doesn't check for the Haskell readline package.

Duncan