[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.7.1
john at repetae.net
Tue Aug 25 00:13:36 EDT 2009
Hi, I am happy to announce the jhc optimizing haskell compiler version 0.7.1.
Information on installing jhc is here: http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/building.shtml
And the Main page is here: http://repetae.net/computer/jhc
There have been a lot of changes since the last public release, Some
notable ones are:
* The use of a general compiler cache by default rather than object
files. This means work done by jhc is shared between projects, jhc
uses cryptographic hashes internally to never compile the same piece of
code more than once. This has numerous benefits, a notable one being
* Reworked library support. Jhc libraries are now much more general,
when linking only the bits needed are loaded from the hl
file, libraries are allowed to re-export modules from other
libraries, making versioning or providing multiple interfaces to the
same functionality a lot simpler. Library conflicts are 'lazy', like
ambiguity errors now.
* Updated Manual, clearer build instructions
* Support for writing pure C libraries in Haskell.
* numerous library updates, filled out many IO routines that were stubs
* Smart progress meters when compiler for a better user experience
* performs all typechecking before compilation, for a faster
edit-compile loop when writing code with jhc.
* various bug fixes
* Cross Compilation improvements, for instance you can compile for windows transparently on
a linux box. Or for an embedded target that is independent of the
* Better Mac OSX Support, as both a host and target.
If you are wondering about the large version number bump since the last
release, It is because several versions were released only internally to
the jhc list for testing. If you are interested in jhc, join the list at:
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈ - http://notanumber.net/
More information about the Haskell-Cafe