[Haskell-cafe] Re: Keeping an indexed collection of values?

Job Vranish jvranish at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:17:52 EDT 2009

It only requires type annotations on your uses of empty (as that is the only
way to construct a collection). The phantom type sticks to everything after
that.
If you don't care to add a signature then things still work just fine, you
just won't be prevented from using indexes from the wrong collection if the
the collection type is the same. I think this is nice, because if you are
working with just one collection, or collections of only different types you
probably don't want to care about the phantom type.
But if you do care, it adds extra protection.

For example:

data P1
data P2

to = runState
inCol = evalState

a = empty :: IndexedCollection Int P1
b = empty :: IndexedCollection Int P2

(i1, a') = add 5 `to` a
(i2, b') = add 16 `to` b

test = lookup i2 `inCol` a' -- type error, but type checks if no signatures
on a or b

- Job