[Haskell-cafe] Parsec lookahead and <|>

Job Vranish jvranish at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:51:23 EDT 2009

Yeah, that's weird.  I played around with la and it seems to only cause
problems when the parser passed into lookAhead succeeds, which seem to go
directly against it's stated purpose.

lookAhead isn't  consuming, (hence the unexpected "b") but still prevents
<|> from doing it's thing.

Seems like a bug to me...

My off the hip fix is a modified form of the ugly try:

lookAhead (ParsecT p)
    = ParsecT $ \s@(State _ pos _) -> do
        res <- p s
        case res of
          Consumed rep -> do r <- rep
                             case r of
                               Error err -> return $ Empty $ return $ Error
(setErrorPos pos err)
                               Ok a state err -> return $ Empty $ return $
Ok a s err
          empty        -> return $ empty

The only potential annoyance with this fix that I can see, is that the error
messages can be confusing if you are doing dumb things with your lookAhead
parsers. For example:

la :: Parsec String () (Char)
la = lookAhead' (char 'r')

*Main> parseTest ((la >> char 'a') <|> char 'b') "a"
parse error at (line 1, column 1):
unexpected "a"
expecting "r" or "b"
*Main> parseTest ((la >> char 'a') <|> char 'b') "r"
parse error at (line 1, column 2):
unexpected "r"
expecting "a" or "b"

But for the most part it behaves as expected.

- Job

(sorry for the double post Martijn, forgot to reply to all)