[Haskell-cafe] Observations about foldM

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:19:17 EDT 2009

It is associativity that is required, not commutativity (in addition to the
fact that the list is finite).

This is why Data.Foldable provides operations for monoids over containers.
Monoids just provide you with associativity and a unit, which lets you
reparenthesize the fold however you want.

See the monoids library or my slides from hac-phi for lots of (ab)uses of a
monoid's associativity.

http://comonad.com/reader/2009/hac-phi-slides/

-Edward Kmett