[Haskell-cafe] Haddock: Failed to create dependency graph (when adding sections with * or a module heading)

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:45:28 EDT 2009

I compiled and installed haddock-2.4.2 from the tarball source.

Adding a few simple comments to the code here:

and running haddock

$ haddock -h -o doc Data/DualMap.hs
Warning: Data.DualMap: could not find link destinations for:
    Data.Typeable.Typeable2 GHC.Base.Eq GHC.Show.Show GHC.Base.Ord
GHC.Base.Bool Data.Set.Set

Things look good. (Note that this module only depends on libs that ship with
GHC and no other source modules.)

However, when I try to add sections (a la
http://www.haskell.org/haddock/doc/html/ch03s04.html#id289234 ) in the
comments with "-- * test" I get:

$ haddock -h -o doc Data/DualMap.hs
Data/DualMap.hs:20:0: parse error on input `-- * test'
haddock: Failed to create dependency graph

I have no idea where to begin getting this to work since this error message
only tells me that Haddock.Interface.depanal returned Nothing (according to
a grep of the haddock sources) but not how to stop the dependency analysis
from failing. Perhaps I need some more command line arguments or references
to missing link destinations in GHC/base/containers documentation or some
haddock config file?

Searching Google yielded plenty of cabal build errors of the same ilk for
packages on hackage but nothing about how to fix them.