[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: Typeful/Text/HTMLs (for AngloHaskell/for scrap?)

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 19 11:36:07 EDT 2009

Colin Paul Adams <colin at colina.demon.co.uk> writes:

>     Jon> darcs get --partial
>     Jon> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/Typeful/Text/HTMLs
>
> Did you make any progress on this at Anglo-Haskell?

Not really, owing to Microsoft site security ;-) [not that they were
being unreasonable, just that it cut me off rather abruptly]. I've
started some notes connected with this at
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jf15/Haskell-notes/AngloHaskell2009-Not-Talk.xhtml>
(which as implied is not quite finished), though they are not especially
interesting to anyone who simply wants to use the library.

> Will it be cabal-ized soon?

That depends on whether anyone wants it done sufficiently strongly to do
it... at the moment I'm not motivated to learning how to do it (if I get
past all the non-programming stuff on my life to-do list, there are
several things on the project's TODO list that come before "Caballise").
After all, if I'm the only person using the library, there's no reason
to caballise... granted, that smacks of a self fulfilling prophecy, but
I'm led to believe that if someone already knows cabal, it would be the
work of moments to do the job, whereas learning it would take
significant effort¹

The license would need attention too... in the absence of convincing
arguments to the contrary, I would favour GPL myself.

[1] And by the time I next wanted to do it, the chances are it would
have changed so much (or I would have forgotten it anyway) that I'd have
to learn it again.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk