[Haskell-cafe] Re: Planning for a website

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Aug 19 03:36:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Max Desyatov
<explicitcall at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> writes:
>
> > I can give a +1 vote for the Hack api and related libs. (Jinjing Wang
> > is a one-man army.) Below hack you'll run happstack or another
> > web-serving lib. Above hack you might run some combination of loli,
> > maid, the hack middleware modules, hsp.
> >
> > The advantage is that changing the low-level server in future is a
> > matter of changing one or two lines; and the upper-level utilities
> > seem more usable to me than current happstack's.
>
> The problem is that `hack` isn't documented at all and that prevents it
> from being in wide use.  At least, when I started my web app, I
> preferred happstack, as low-level and documented API is better than
> high-level API without a little bit of documentation, examples and
> tutorials.

I don't see how you can call hack a "high-level API." It's about as
low-level as it gets, kind of equivalent to the CGI protocol. I wrote up a
little blog article with a hack introduction (
http://blog.snoyman.com/2009/06/28/hack-introduction/). I would also
recommend checking out my hack-samples repo on github (
http://github.com/snoyberg/hack-samples/tree/master).

Overall, hack is still developing, so the documentation is a little lacking.
However, I at least am using it in production on a few sites (
http://eliezer.snoyman.com, http://wordify.snoyman.com).

Michael