DDC compiler and effects; better than Haskell? (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] unsafeDestructiveAssign?)

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:09:08 EDT 2009

Another issue in DCC is in the course of writing a procedure, is that either
the programmer has too much information (the list of effects of all the
called procedures  if they are explicit), or too little, if they are
generated and managed by the compiler.
How he knows for sure that a variable to be used in the next statement is
pure or it would be updated by the previous function call?.  if the list of
effects of a procedure is hidden or worse, contains a lot of information,
Isn`t this a problem?.

In contrast, the division of the world in pure/impure operations is
relaxing. Ok , after the  @ operator I´m sure that everithing is pure, but
things are not clear outside. At least in Haskell, trough monads, we have a
clear signature about the effects we are dealiing with. If IO can be
considered an effect.

Maybe, in Haskell, the coarse IO monad can be divided in smaller monads as
well, in the same but reverse way than DCC can handle the whole IO as a
single effect (I guess)?