DDC compiler and effects; better than Haskell? (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] unsafeDestructiveAssign?)

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Wed Aug 12 10:12:14 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Derek Elkins wrote:

> Again, it is purity, not laziness, that allows compositional
> reasoning.  Effects destroy compositional reasoning in a strict
> language just as much.

Yes, but that's just as much true in the IO monad as in effectful code
in DDC. I think the point is that a functional language with a built-
in effect system that captures the nature of effects is pretty damn
cool and eliminates a lot of boilerplate.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-Brain, Inc.
The Evolution of Collaboration