[Haskell-cafe] Re: Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Max Rabkin max.rabkin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 12:22:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Magnus Therning<magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> AFAIU the plan is to separate GHC and its "platform packages", so in
> the future it might not be that easy to get to the point where you
> _can_ run 'cabal install'.

Absolutely not. The point of HP is to make the path from bare OS to
complete Haskell installation including cabal-install consist of a
single step:
1. Install Haskell Platform

> This is a good point, but to some extent this brings us back to a
> discussion that's specific to systems with broken or non-existing
> package managers.  Wouldn't it be better to deal with _that_ outside
> of HP?

AIUI, on systems with working package managers, HP will be a
metapackage which depends on the appropriate "real" packages.

--Max