[Haskell-cafe] Re: Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Aug 4 01:53:19 EDT 2009

alexander.dunlap:
> >          o pandoc — markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, Docbook, OpenDocument, ODT, RTF, MediaWiki, groff
>
> No. Pandoc is too actively developed to go into the HP. It's also much
> more of an end-user application than a "standard library" - it's
> applications are not general enough to be included in the standard
> distribution.

One comment on your thoughtful post.

What role does having unique capabilities for the Haskell Platform play?

Our base library is already notable for having OpenGL support out of the
box. Maybe markup/markdown formats (for example) would also help Haskell
stand out from the crowd. A similar case would be gtk2hs out of the box
(Python supplied Tcl guis).

On the other hand, maybe the HP should be aiming to be comprehensive
enough to /support/ pandoc without additional dependencies.

We don't have to decide this now. There's more than enough "core"
components missing to keep us busy for a while.

-- Don