[Haskell-cafe] Efficient functional idiom for histogram

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sat Aug 1 15:40:40 EDT 2009

Sterling Clover wrote:
> For other random numbers, with different properties (faster, but with
> tradeoffs in robustness, or ability to split, or both), you can check
> hackage for at least mersenne-random and gsl-random.

gsl-random is definitely worth a try for performance.  I recently did a
rough benchmark (not rigorous) of Control.Monad.Random, which uses
System.Random, and Control.Monad.MC, which uses GSL.Random.
Control.Monad.Random took about 3.6 times longer to generate a few
million random numbers compared to Control.Monad.MC, and used five times
as much heap.  The GSL-based version generated about 340,000 random
numbers per second on a 1.8GHz notebook.

Anton