[Haskell-cafe] Arrow preprocessor and *** combinator

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:15:28 EDT 2009

> If you are serious about arrow optimizations, it might be worthwhile to
> modify the original preprocessor to output a richer GADT (with cases for
> things like ArrSwap) with all the information it knows, so that user code
> can experiment with optimizations.
>
> Godspeed on this interesting problem.  Please publish :-)

Thanks for the tips Luke. I didn't think of that. But would doing these
optimizations at runtime be as efficient as using rewrite rules? I know
Yampa uses these GADTs for optimization.

No I won't be able to make such a big optimizer myself - but Paul Liu and
Paul Hudak are working on something like that I think (see the Causal
Commutative Arrows paper). But my code made use of a non-default *** and I
found it odd that it was never called, so I hoped it would be easy to add a
couple of simple rewrite rule so that *** was generated.