[Haskell-cafe] Re: Help from C libraries experts

Maurício briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 08:03:01 EDT 2009

> Could you perhaps then summarise what design rules you're using?

Yes. They are summarised at the main module documentation:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/bindings/0.1/doc/html/Bindings.html

> For example, why did you pick the new 'Bindings' namespace?

The most important guideline is: users guide guidelines. If you
have a better sugestion for a base module name, please open a
ticket at development website, under 'Issues/Create new issue'
(you can do it as anonymous):

http://bitbucket.org/mauricio/bindings

> What are you doing that's different to having standalone
> small packages?

I'm trying to write "canonical" bindings libraries.

> One risk I see is that 'bindings' will depend on  a large number of C
> libraries (...)

Sure. I would like to have:

bindings-common
bindings-testsAndExamples
bindings-sqlite3
bindings-openusb
bindings-agar
etc.

But I thought I should not polute hackage before this package
get at least a few people understanding and agreeing with
the concept.

> Maybe this is a better discussion for libraries@?

OK. I'll repost there, with text updated after your thoughts.

Thanks,
Maurício