[Haskell-cafe] Question about implementing an off-side rule in Parsec 2

S. Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Tue Apr 28 17:56:55 EDT 2009

As Lennart said, the complete offside rule as found in Haskell is
almost impossible to get right. This is mainly due to the way in which
it is formulated: in terms of error correction. This makes it very
difficult to build a parser for such rules which have error correction
built into them. We need to do a kind of open brain surgery to get
this working. Note that the GHC treats the offside rule even a bit
different in case it is caused by the do notation, in which case the
indentation does not have to be greater, but has to be just at least
as great as the previous indentation.

In the uulib package you will find a module which handles the offside
parsing as we understand it; you may take it as an object of study. We
use it in the UHC and we managed to compile almost all the basic
libraries with it (with the exception of the do's mention above, which
we had to give some extra indentation).  It basically follows the
suggestion made by Lennart in this thread, by redefining the input
state which is being maintained.

I understand that you try to build an Occam compiler. Fortunately the
offside rule for Occam is much simpler, and resembles closely the
Miranda rule.

I uploaded a new version of our parser combinators (uu-parisnglib) to
Hackage, which is well documented in an associated tutorial. I think
it could give you a good starting point. Note however that the library
is far from stable, and will be extended in the near future. E.g. with
a pBlock as we have in the uulib library to deal with the offside
rule ;-}

  Hope you enjoy jumping into the deep,

  Doaitse Swierstra