[Haskell-cafe] Haskell/JS -- better through typeclasses?

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 14:06:44 EDT 2009

John wrote:

> I can't speak for Jason, but for me, this is not very useful. I don't
> want to write in a Haskell DSL, I want to write in Haskell. And not
> the whole program, either, just the parts that really lend themselves
> to functional programming (parsers, numeric computations, code
> generators, various algorithms).

What I presented is of course not a complete solution; this is just a
tool to construct Javascript expressions in haskellized type-safe
form.

What I also mentioned: this monadic form may be an end-point for some
other conversion, like GRIN. This answers the question how to
translate a true Haskell program (like a parser) into Javascript (or a
similar language). There are some experimental compilers with GRIN
backends, plus I did my own experiments with GRIN that gave me some
ideas.

So I would just look at it as a starting point of some new family of
tools which hopefully will end up opening possibility to translate
Haskell things to Javascript.

PS For now I am more concerned with the IDL part of it, but any
suggestions on GRIN are welcome.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web