[Haskell-cafe] How to install HOpenGL to Windows?

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun Apr 26 13:03:02 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag, 9. April 2009 00:28:35 schrieb Peter Verswyvelen:
> Yes I totally agree that it is overkill. Ideally I would like every package
> to install on Windows without requiring MinGW. But I was just explaining
> the situation as it is right now.

Well, I don't like using autoconf, either, but currently I don't see an
alternative. If you look at the configure.ac of the OpenGL package, you can
see that autoconf has to figure out the following:

   * How to link programs using OpenGL

   * The Haskell types corresponding to the OpenGL types

   * To do the former: How to find the OpenGL C headers

   * The library calling convention

   * How to load OpenGL extensions

The build process in itself is purely Cabal-based, it is only the
configuration above which done via autoconf. So in theory you could write the
few output files of the configure run by hand and then use Cabal, without any
MinGW/MSYS or cygwin.

I don't see how Cabal could help here even further, the tests above are quite
OpenGL-specific, but I am open for suggestions.

Cheers,
  S.