[Haskell-cafe] Haskell/JS -- better through typeclasses?

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 12:18:33 EDT 2009

2009/04/26 John A. De Goes <john at n-brain.net>:
> I can't speak for Jason, but for me, this is not very useful.
> I don't want to write in a Haskell DSL, I want to write in
> Haskell. And not the whole program, either, just the parts
> that really lend themselves to functional programming
> (parsers, numeric computations, code generators, various
> algorithms). Which means I need to be able to call Haskell
> functions from JavaScript.

  This was what I was originally writing in about, yeah.
  However, thinking it over I realize there are some serious
  problems. We really do want to work with a restricted subset
  of Haskell that is more amenable to translation -- one with
  finite arrays and most every type translatable to JSON.

> I'm not particularly concerned with non-strict evaluation,
> either. Strict is preferable wherever it would not alter the
> outcome.

  I fear that requires us to know, statically, whether
  potentially infinite structures like lists are finite or
  infinite. I'm not sure about this but I suspect that's a major
  stumbling block.

--
Jason Dusek