[Haskell-cafe] Thread priority?

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Fri Apr 24 22:48:04 EDT 2009

Is there any interest or movement in developing thread priority or any
other realtime support in Haskell?

Right now, if I have tasks that need to be responsive in real time, even
if the realtime needs are very soft, it seems that the only option is to
try to ensure that at least one hardware thread is kept clear of any other
activity.

To be very useful to me, thread priority would not need to come with very
strict guarantees, but there would need to be a way to make sure that
`par` sparks and DPH inherit the priority of the sparking thread.

In part I ask because I'm working on a small library to support a degree
of cooperative task prioritization.

Friendly,
--Lane