[Haskell-cafe] Re: Code reviews Was: Is 78 characters (...) Was: breaking (...)

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 22:16:57 EDT 2009

>>> Maybe we could learn with them: what about if Haskell Weekly
>>> News had a section on code review, like many newspapers have
>>> book review sections?
>>>
> I'm not sure such a thing is good... At the very least, such reviews
> should be anonymous, especially if we're going to cover bad code
> instead of good. Here's my contribution:

One important thing about reviews is that (as book reviews) they
have to be deep. Maybe, along the lines of what you sugested,
you could check, say, 30 or 40 packages in hackage and try
to show cases where a package could be a lot more usefull (or
have code that is better to read) with a few dependencies less,
and show well written examples on how this could be acomplished.

Other sugestion: you can read some code you don't know yet but
you are interested in, and try to follow what happens in your
mind from the time you start until the time you fully understand
it. Then you could write sugestion on how the code could be
changed so that your mind would have been guided better. Then
ask someone to read your knew code, and if you actually made
it easier to read, write about your thoughts about the code.

Thanks for your sugestion. Best,
Maurício