[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: vacuum-cairo: a cairo frontend tovacuum for live Haskell data visualization

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:34:32 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> Something like this?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force-based_algorithms
>
> Yes, I'm all for it :-) The only problem is finding time to do it :-(
> Although QuickSilver might be able to pull this off easily?

A basic version is easy, yes.

http://roobarb.jellybean.co.uk/~jules/forces.1.tgz

It makes no attempt to analyze when stable state is reached, has no way
to add heuristics, has no output or save format, or indeed input format.
I haven't hacked it into vacuum because I don't have GHC 6.10 installed.

All that being said, it's a quick proof of concept, it comes with some
fun examples including most of the platonic solids and a couple of
chemical modules. It may be a starting point for someone wanting to do
something cleverer.

Compile with -threaded. It bundles my simple Reactive implementation
which separates the framerate from the simulation speed and lets you
rotate / zoom in/out.

obligatory screenshot:

http://roobarb.jellybean.co.uk/~jules/Picture%2012.png

Jules