[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: vacuum-cairo: a cairo frontend tovacuum for live Haskell data visualization

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:34:32 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> Something like this?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force-based_algorithms
> Yes, I'm all for it :-) The only problem is finding time to do it :-(
> Although QuickSilver might be able to pull this off easily?

A basic version is easy, yes.

It makes no attempt to analyze when stable state is reached, has no way
to add heuristics, has no output or save format, or indeed input format.
I haven't hacked it into vacuum because I don't have GHC 6.10 installed.

All that being said, it's a quick proof of concept, it comes with some
fun examples including most of the platonic solids and a couple of
chemical modules. It may be a starting point for someone wanting to do
something cleverer.

Compile with -threaded. It bundles my simple Reactive implementation
which separates the framerate from the simulation speed and lets you
rotate / zoom in/out.

obligatory screenshot: