[Haskell-cafe] compilation to C, not via-C

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:31:06 EDT 2009

Hallo,

On 4/24/09, Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> wrote:
> Quoth Alex Queiroz <asandroq at gmail.com>,
>

>  >      Actually some Scheme compilers have a "c-declare" form that lets
>  > you create C functions, which can be called from C, Haskell, Java,
>  > Ruby etc.
>

> That would be like what you get with Haskell FFI "export"?
>
>  When I do this with nhc98, I need a nhc98 "main", and I would expect
>  the same with GHC.  Part of the deal would be smuggling in and
>  initializing the Haskell runtime.  Also figuring out storage, if
>  returning any values from the exported Haskell function (as opposed
>  to poking them into address parameters.)  I can see how this would
>  not be suitable for a library.

     Incurring the risk of being too much off-topic, I'll just say
that I use the Gambit-C Scheme compiler to produce C code that I link
with my C driver code. I need to write the driver ("main" and friends)
in C because my software is compiled as a Windows service or POSIX
daemon, which requires special care. But of course you must link in
the Scheme runtime, with the garbage collector, Scheme data types etc.

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/