[Haskell-cafe] compilation to C, not via-C

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Fri Apr 24 13:09:43 EDT 2009

Thanks Bulat and Miguel.

Unless I've missed something, the FFI is an great description of how to
bind C and Haskell - I think it's fine. I've read most of the content
either on or referenced by the wiki - although I could well be missing
something. I believe the problem is with the actual code compilation
itself.

I need a list of .c and .h files as an end result of the Haskell
compilation stage. I expect these c files will need to include Haskell
runtime C code to operate, and therefore have some dependencies in order
to compile and link.

Afaict, GHC as it stands does not allow me to do this, even though it
presumably generates C in the process of compiling binary objects.

Actually having C source as an end result is critical as I need control
over exactly how the source is compiled and linked. For example:
- I need to compile to different targets: either a static C lib, exe,
dll or C++ lib.
- I need to support multiple compilers.
- I might want to produce a custom runtime.

In short, I'd like to use Haskell as a code-generator.

I can't see that this would be unachievable, particularly given it's
generating C already. Have I missed something?

Cheers,
Sam